Sunday, August 10, 2008

Task2.1

Was a bit rusty on normilisation, Last time I did it was in first year for FIT1004. Just had to brush up on some normilisation skills and went ok I guess. The grocery database was indeed a mess. Lots of redundancy and inconsistent data. Was all in all a good experience in doing normilisation again. It is indeed a critical point in design for a database. Used odbc to connect to the db and to pull data over. Was easy... Also used tools in access to visually see the relationships between the entities which helped in finding out foreign keys and primary keys. I think the hardest part for me was going through the data and removing the inconsistencies but again it wasnt difficult just time consuming. Definitely a realistic experience for me as this is what you do in industry but on a larger scale. Was really an intuitive learning experience.

No comments: